Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Blueberry Clafoutis


I cheated.

I peaked in at around 40 minutes.  I don't know what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't this.

Living, breathing, sighing, heaving.

My clafoutis was alive.    Billowing sheets of yellow custard.   Breathing in and out.   Hot, heavy breath.

I closed the oven door and walked away.  Tried to forget what I just saw.

Five minutes more.   The buzzer.

One more heaving sigh and then silence.    A lone blueberry exuded itself through the now thin crust of  golden yellow.


This is one hot little dessert.

A classic french dessert, traditionally made with cherries, it is a cross between a baked custard and an airy puffy pancake.   Very easy to put together and the results are subtly sweet and light.   (Makes great leftovers for breakfast.)  

Do you have a favorite blueberry recipe? 


Blueberry Clafoutis

Ingredients

1 pint blueberries, rinsed
3 whole eggs
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon almond extract
2/3 cup flour

butter
mint for garnish

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Butter your baking dish and layer bottom with blueberries.   Set aside.  I used a 9 inch cake pan.

In a medium bowl, combine eggs, cream, sugar and almond extract.    Mix in flour to form a smooth batter.

Pour batter over blueberries and let settle to reach all sides.  

Bake for 40 - 50 minutes or until you reach a golden topping.   Remove from oven.  The clafoutis will naturally puff and deflate.   Let sit for 10 - 15 minutes before serving.   Garnish with fresh mint before serving.

10 comments:

  1. I've never heard of it, but it sure looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm this looks delicious! I've made one with cherries before but I bet blueberries would be even better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. jdavis - I remember my mom making this many years ago and had completely forgotten about it. You just don't see it very often. It's a nice change from the 'usuals'.

    lisa - Now you make me want to try the cherry version :) Good thing its summer and there's an abundance of good fruit at the moment. PS - I wanted to share that I solved my laptop crisis. Mine never got as bad as yours (thankfully). It apparently just needed a good cleaning... I was so nervous it was going to explode!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol...Emily...just read your comment on my post...too funny! Yours look fabulous...way better photos than mine too! My camera is on the fritz so I've been using my cell phone...not the best thing but it passes.

    I think I'm going to try yours to see the difference. Mine had sour cream and milk...yours looks more "cake-y" and VERY delicious!!

    Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heavenly! I've never heard of this before, but I'm definitely going to make and then eat this now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fat grams be damned! This looks yummy! I so love blueberry anything. mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! This looks gorgeous and delicious. Love the substitution of blueberries for cherries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meeling - I loved your photos! And I want to try yours because it looks more custardy. So many wonderful variations!

    Rachel - I'd love to hear your thoughts if you try this!

    Della - I know.... I am feeling a bit 'out of control' this week... I swear I eat a lot of salad in between the hot dogs and fun desserts. All things in moderation :)

    Jes - Thank you! I am a little obsessed with blueberries at the moment. There was a buy 1 get two free sale at the local grocery store... our fridge is quite full!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious! I'll have to try it. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love finding new recipes, this looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love hearing from you and read each and every one!