Sunday, August 8, 2010

Blueberry Boy Bait

Anyone else out there in a relationship with a workaholic?

I can't be the only one.

My then boyfriend, now fiance, soon to be husband falls squarely into this category.    It is all very admirable and I respect him greatly for the care he puts into his profession, however, I've also learned that sometimes I need to employ special tactics to lure him away.


Sometimes it takes really REALLY special tactics.     The big guns.

Like last summer.    I ran across a special girly lotion called Blueberry Boy Bait.   Interesting name, right?   I read a little and found out the lotion was based on a special recipe by the same name.    Created in 1954 by a young girl in the Pillsbury Bake Off junior division who recognized the special effect it had on young men and named it accordingly.

Well, sold, seems like this might do the trick.   I added yet another bottle of pretty girly lotion to my collection in the already overflowing cabinet.   Yes, I have a lifetime supply, in probably every flavor imaginable.  I know I am not alone in this either.

Flashback to last year.  Late summer evening.   John's working in his kitchen on the laptop.   I proudly prance into the room all lathered up in my special boy bait.  

"What's that smell?"

"Me!  Don't you love it?"

"Um.   No.   Gross."

Crushed I tell you.   That lotion never saw the light of day again.   It is hidden in the back now, buried under other goodies awaiting a true dermatological emergency.

Needless to say, the story stuck with me and when I ran across the recipe recently from Smitten Kitchen, I sensed it was time to give it, hopefully, a more successful shot.    I've been good on my no sugar, minimal carb diet all week in preparation for this attempt.    The blueberries have been resting in the fridge since Thursday.

Last night, we're making dinner.  

John says, "I am going to put blueberries in my salad."


"Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!"

I think the hint worked.    I received a one line email from him from work today asking if he should pick up ice cream after work.

He thinks I am making pie.   Little does he know, I'm making Boy Bait.

Here's the recipe, adapted from Smitten Kitchen's version who modified the Cook's Country magazine who adapted it from the original boy baiter in 1954.


Blueberry Boy Bait  (serves 12)

Cake Ingredients
2 cups plus 1 tsp all purpose flour
1 tbls baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 sticks softened butter (yes, two!)
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup fat free milk (original recipe calls for whole or even buttermilk, but this was all I had)
1 1/2 cups blueberries (original recipe calls for 1/2 cup, fresh or frozen, but we reallllly like blueberries)

Topping
1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Use a 9x13 glass pan.   Butter sides and bottom.   Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.

In a separate large bowl, blend together softened butter and the two sugars.    Blend for about two minutes.    Add one egg at a time, blending until incorporated.    Add 1/3 of flour mixture and blend.   Add 1/2 cup of milk and blend.   Add another 1/3 of flour and blend.   Add final 1/2 cup of milk and blend.   Add final 1/3 of flour and blend.   The mixture should be light and creamy and fluffy at this point.


Toss blueberries with teaspoon of flour and gently fold into the large bowl.    Be careful to leave the blueberries in tact or you will dye your batter prematurely.

Carefully spread mixture into the your greased pan.  


Mix topping and sprinkle all over top.

Bake 45 to 50 minutes.    Cool for 15 minutes.   Eat warm or at room temperature.



PS - It worked.   

Early this evening.    I hear the garage door open.   The suspense is killing me.    Shoes on the floor.    I tense up a little bit. 

"What's that smell?"

"I made it for you."

"Really?   It smells amazing."

"Wait until you try it."   (I can say this because I've already eaten several scraps that conveniently broke away.)

And the rest is history.   He loved it.   Boy bait worked. 

This is one fabulous recipe.   A keeper.   As a bonus, it is edible at any time of the day. Seriously.   Bon Appetit!


13 comments:

  1. mmmm! I must try this when my hubby can't put down his Crackberry (I mean Blackberry!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yuuuuummmm. i love that name - 'blueberry boy bait.' hilarious!

    i read a book about the Pilsbury Bake Off (and other infamous cooking competitions). it was pretty fascinating. it's a complete sub-culture of extremely competitive, driven individuals. and nom-tastic food. ;)

    book marking this recipe to try in the future... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. TheSeaWithin - Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed!

    Lisa - yup, it is the perfect temptation. Thank goodness mine hasn't developed a habit for one of those... yet!

    kelli - The name is what hooked me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband loves blueberries. Maybe I should try that recipe...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sending them to the office! Yummy... but not on Weight Watchers.

    John showed me your blog today; hope you don't mind me reading. It is lovely!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. estylo - If he loves blueberries, he will definitely love this!

    Waves hi to Jessica! I love that you found me here.... and PS - that's exactly why I sent them to the office ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had been there to lick the bowl! It looks delicious. Might have to take a walk to the Greenmarket for some fresh blueberries. You always have the most enticing recipes...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw! Bummer that he didn't like the lotion, but at least he liked the boy bait! I LOVE this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your story! This blueberry cake looks extra delicious!! I love the cinnamon sugar topping on the top! YUM!!
    Would you mind checking out my blog? :D http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. So delicious! My boyfriend doesn't like scented body products either (including my beloved perfumes... sob!) but he loves himself some cake. Thank you for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would never be able to resist this - well it has fruit in so that is ok, right? ;) Totally divine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your cute li'l story and the pastry.
    Gonna make some tonight, in fact!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love hearing from you and read each and every one!