Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sweet and Sour Cucumber Dill Salad

It is hot.  

Like ridiculously crazy insane hot.

Yes, I live in North Carolina.   Yes, I realize that it gets hot in summer.

But seriously... really?   A heat index of 112 is just not fun.   I have been running outside periodically all afternoon dumping glasses of ice water on my wilting herbs on our front porch.    My cat, who normally loves to dart out the door after me when I leave the house, isn't.   She just stands there and sniffs the air and then turns around and goes back inside to sit on a vent.  

I'm really not complaining.  I love heat.   I actually love humidity.   I love summer.  

Except for today.  

I'm thinking about what to whip up for dinner tonight and the thought of cooking makes me a little sick to my stomach.    But I can slice up some cucumbers and splash on some light dressing without breaking a sweat.    Easy.  Fresh.   Just enough effort to make me a little sleepy again on this Sunday afternoon, but not enough to make me want to take a nap.   I'd say that's a success.


Cucumber Dill Salad.   A regular at my summer table growing up.   It was our hot weather side dish.   Perfect with anything from the grill and super refreshing all by itself.

I found this recipe on Epicurious and only made a couple of changes by reducing the sugar and adding onion.    Just like when I was little!



Sweet and Sour Cucumbers with Fresh Dill

2 hot house cucumbers sliced as thinly as you can get them while leaving them in tact
1 tablespoon salt

1/2 small onion, thinly sliced (optional)

1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

After slicing cucumbers, sprinkle with salt and then let drain in colander for at least 15 minutes.  I usually let this go about a half hour.   When time is up, squeeze excess water out without ruining the cucumber (don't squeeze too hard!)

Make your dressing by combining the vinegar, fresh dill, sugar and pepper.   Taste and adjust accordingly.  

Mix dressing with cucumbers and onion and let sit at least 15 minutes before serving.   Serve chilled!


Enjoy and stay cool!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, 112 degrees! My family failed to mention it was that hot in NC. I am up here complaining about our 95 degree days. This salad looks really good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love hearing from you and read each and every one!