Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Market Day

I have a dream.   A recurring vision.   Of myself at age 85.


This is normal, right?

In this vision, I am a completely adorable shrunken version of myself.   I happen to be living in one of my three favorite cities.   New York, Paris or Rome.   (Leaving my options open.)

Every morning while John rests in 'his' chair drinking tea and reading one of his many newspaper subscriptions, I prepare for the highlight of my day.    I pick out one of my loveliest and most elegant outfits from the tiny closet, dress, put on my pearls and small heels, pack my tiny and devoted dog into my bag and leave our apartment for our daily adventure.

I walk, of course.    This is my daily exercise.   I love to breathe the city air.    My little dog is content to look around at strangers from his perch.    We are happy.  

I walk to the market down the street.   Each day, the same one, at roughly the same time.    All of the guys in the stalls love me of course, because I am sweet and adorable.



I look at everything and buy very little.    I pick up fruit and smell the bottom.   I caress the vegetables when no one is looking.    I buy some radishes, a tomato, maybe a lemon or two.   I pick up a fresh baguette (the Paris version of the dream) and throw it in the bag, alongside the produce and the dog.    It is fine, I am old, I have no fear of germs anymore.


I watch myself in the glass in store fronts as I return home.  I see myself as a vibrant young woman.   My dog yips a little bit as his reflection.   We both return home happy.     John greets us, "Hi dear.   How's mommy?   What did we find at the market today?"

And this is a little sliver of my vision of our life at 85.    I can dream.

Flash forward to present, or the not so distant past.    Another overcast late Sunday morning in Paris.   I am lucky to be staying in Le Marais where things are actually open on Sundays.   I decide to hang in my neighborhood and wander around when I ran directly into the Richard Lenoir market.   Truth be told, I was actually following a set of google directions that were to take me to one of the most loved creperie's in the city when I discovered this little gem.


This is just like the market in my dreams, although, much bigger than I envision, but same concept.
It was incredibly crowded but  the diversity of it all was fantastic.   Young, old, every possible thing you could imagine buying at a market, stuff everywhere.   Crazy place, but awesome.    So much fun.  


But I was hungry and crepes were on my mind so I eventually went back to my trail.   You can imagine my disappointment when the place was closed.   Sundays are so confusing here.   I should have checked before I left.   I have to say, it was definitely worth it though ... sometimes the best things in life are the unexpected stops along the way.


If you'd like to visit the market, it is open Sundays and Thursdays from 9am to 1pm on Boulevard Richard Lenoir in the 11th.   Right near the Bastille.  You won't miss it.   Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. Your blog is adorable! Love the vision of your future. I often wonder what it will be like to be an old woman. I hope it's as wonderful as you make it sound!
    oh, and that market looks heavenly!

    found you on etsy forums, i hope you'll come visit me too!

    http://jdavissquared.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D This is so cute: " All of the guys in the stalls love me of course, because I am sweet and adorable." !

    Look at all that amazing dishware....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love, love, love Paris!!! Your pictures make me want to visit there again. Ditto your vision of life at 85 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to travel to Paris someday! I don't really like to think about getting old, but you make it sound nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Paris. Your blog brought it all back. I remember Le Marais, too, did a little shopping there myself. We stayed in St Germain de Pres and explored all over. Did you see the Roman ruins under Notre Dame? Le Sainte Chapelle? I love Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am dying to go to Paris even more after this post! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Paris! Look forward to being 85 if it is going to be as fun and interesting as your it is in your vision Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This market looks like so much fun. I love Paris and I wish I could get back there sooner than later. I think having visions of yourself at 85 is awesome...I wish I could see that far down the road and have a vision. I can barely make a vision in a year from now. Maybe I can adopt yours because it sounds so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are all so sweet! I am glad you love Paris as much as I do! And truly, I know in my heart that we will all be adorable 85 year olds doing our own thing and having the time of our life! A wonderful dream to look forward to.

    For those that haven't been to Paris yet, you simply must if you can ever get there. You will fall in love. It will stay with you forever.

    Customdesigns - Sainte Chapelle. So fabulous and amazing. One of my favorite places ever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh My, this is so amazing :) Totally jealous, one day I will go to Paris.

    Love your blog and your banner is beautiful. Thanks for stopping by, :) T.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic open air market. There is something special about shopping for fresh vegetable outside rather than in a refrigerated supermarket.

    I adored your dream of your future, a very lovely and pleasant future indeed. To grow old gracefully is the hope that we all cherish deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks absolutely wonderful, and your dream sounds quite charming. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love hearing from you and read each and every one!