Saturday, September 4, 2010

Magical Powers (White Bean, Potato and Lots of Healthy Vegetables) Soup

It is probably one of the most beautiful days of the year.     Finally, September is here.    Bright Carolina blue skies are back.    I should be happy.    Why, why me?

Every muscle in my body hurts.    Every.  Single.   One.  


I could blame it on Jillian.   I could blame it on the yellow fever vaccine shot that I'm convinced is doing me in.   I could probably find a bunch of other reasons if I think hard enough, but I'm too tired.     I am admiring those gorgeous blue skies from inside on the couch because I'm sick, and therefore crabby, and very sad I'm not frolicking around outside on this beautiful hurricane free weekend.     Poor me.

It is a soup night.   A throw together whatever I can find in the kitchen kind of soup night.   Yup, I made this one up and it is really good.


Tomorrow I am supposed to go to the beach.    First time this summer.   I simply must feel better.  I have high hopes that this soup will work its magical powers over night and I will bound out of bed fresh and ready to take on the world and perhaps even the remnants of Earl in the form of super crazy waves that will knock me down to the ground over and over until I get wiped out and want to go home and take a super long nap and do it all over again on Monday.    

So, wish me luck and try this soup if you are ever in the need.   Actually, you can try it even if you are feeling healthy.   It is good like that.    As a bonus, it is not at all bad for you either and super easy to make.    Good use of all those end of summer vegetables hanging around.  

Magical Powers (White Bean, Potato and Lots of Healthy Vegetables) Soup

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 medium zucchini, chopped
32 oz low sodium chicken broth
4 small red potatoes, chopped (skins on)
1 can Northern White Beans, rinsed
1 large tomato, chopped
2 cups baby spinach, rough chopped
1 Tablespoon chopped rosemary
juice of 1 small lime

Heat olive oil in large stock pot on stove.    Add chopped onion and saute gently for 10 to 15 minutes on medium low heat until translucent.    Add chopped zucchini and cook for 5 minutes.   Add garlic and cook another minute or two until aroma is released.

Pour in the chicken broth.   Stir in chopped potatoes.    Cover pot and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until potatoes soften.  

Stir in white beans, tomatoes, spinach and rosemary.    Cover and simmer another 10 minutes to allow flavors to meld.    Stir in lime juice.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.   Serve warm.   (PS - If you are feel extra special, I would imagine a little Parmesan would be good in this too!)


I know what your thinking.    Lime juice.   It is actually not a weird addition at all.   It adds the extra brightness that makes this soup taste super healthy and fresh.    I like to think of it as the Magic in the Magical Powers.

Maybe I'll see you at the beach tomorrow...  if not, wishing you a relaxing and happy long weekend with friends and family!

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful photos. Such a wonderful and healthy recipe. Nothing better for women than the leafy greens. Feel better soon. Lois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Lois! I'm up (relatively) early on this gorgeous Sunday... so there's hope for me! Still achy, but I think I'm on the right path. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! I really hope it does its' trick and that you feel better in no time.... I'm going to keep this recipe handy as I've been feeling slightly sicker and sicker since Friday. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hope you're feeling better!

    gosh, i am so in awe of your ability to just 'throw things together.' it looks like something out of gourmet magazine. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love hearing from you and read each and every one!